Vegan Cashew and Coconut Granola
When it comes to breakfast I am steadfastly in the sweet camp. That is to say, given the choice I would rather have something with a little sugary kick to jump start me in the morning than savoury fare, which is something I only ever crave at the weekend and that's most likely because I rise a lot later - like say lunchtime:/
Oatmeal is absolutely my go to morning meal but I do like to mix it up now and again with polenta, shop bought cereal (I'm going through a weetabix phase at the moment) and granola.
Unfortunately when it comes to granola, stores only seem to stock the honey variety and if there does happen to be a vegan friendly sort it normally comes with a hefty price tag. It seems ridiculous to me to spend 6 or 7 quid on something I can make myself for about a quarter of the price, which is why I have taken to making my own granola(here's another, err, very similar granola recipe from a while back).
Quite honestly, granola is so simple to make and yet I often forget this fact. When I made this cashew and coconut one just the other day I was amazed at how painless a process it was and have since vowed to not forget its simplicity ever again. n.b. I will totally revert to type and forget within a matter of days.
This might not seem like a very big batch for two people but I can assure you it will keep you going for well over a week and that includes snacks - I love to sprinkle it on soya yoghurt for impromptu afternoon pick me ups.
Like the slow roasted tomatoes I last posted about, having something homemade and reasonably healthy at the ready is a pleasure I will never tire of. I only wish I had more time in the day to stock my fridge and cupboards with more of it!
cashew and coconut granola
1 cup porridge or oatmeal (large flakes work best but I only had small in the cupboard)
1/2 cup whole unsalted cashews
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup flaked almonds
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 cup agave nectar or sweetener of your choice
1 heaped tsp coconut oil
1. pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees celsius/300 fahrenheit.
2. place the coconut oil and agave in small saucepan and gently heat.
3. place the oats in a baking tray and place in oven turning occassionally - i find two rubber spatulas work best for this task.
4. add the cashews, sunflower seeds, half the desiccated coconut, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir to combine. when the coconut oil and agave begin to bubble pour over the granola and using the two spatulas coat all the ingredients until you get a reasonably and evenly wet mixture. place in oven for 20 minutes turning frequently with the spatulas.
5. in the last 5-10 minutes add the flaked almonds and raisins.
6. remove from oven, add the remaining coconut and allow to cool completely before transferring to a sealed jar or container.